Monday, September 8, 2008

Logic, thy best friend

It's funny at times when people overlook the obvious and take a decision that isn't logically right. For them it isn't funny, they make a choice they felt right. Maybe they choose to go with their intuition but I prefer (mostly) logic. In fact, there are times I encounter when there is a very strong urge to obey the gut feeling. Logic fails me sometimes but otherwise, the contentment after a successful logical execution is overwhelming. Logic becomes a habit in the commonest situations but a sound reasoning helps you out in the more difficult ones. Logic stems from two things I believe, knowledge and experience. Intuition, on the other hand, comes out of nowhere (sixth sense maybe). Like I mentioned before, the satisfaction after a successful logical accomplishment is overwhelming but the same feeling after an intuition-driven success can be termed as heavenly. It can be explained by the fact that intuition, for that person, isn't governed by anything (till the person learns about the logic supporting his intuition!!).

Not everything in this world can be reasoned with logic. Emotions, for instance, are beyond logical bounds (err... but the scientists can still relate your emotions to the chemicals in the brain... whatever!).

Recently I figured out that people tend to stick to their logic in the difficult and demanding situations and choose to go by their intuition in the trivial ones (I may be wrong here; should depend on the person and the situation both... don't know). Very reasonable, due to the fact that in the trivial circumstances, there isn't much at stake. While I am writing this, I'd like to correct on my previous writing that intuition comes out of nowhere. It has dawned on me that intuition can be a result of the person's experiences (with his intuition, as well) and the knowledge thus obtained. I know it sounds confusing and it indeed is, to me that is.

I thought of writing this post after reading an article on 'claustrophobia' in Times of India today. As Ralph Waldo Emerson has said, "Fear always springs from ignorance." I believe that a strong logical reasoning and a calm mind is all that is needed to overcome any kind of fear and panic. Well, if the mind is calm, there ain't any fear :P

No comments: